Start with some basic breathing awareness...
Om Sarvesham Svasti Bhavatu
Sarvesham Shantir Bhavatu
Sarvesham Purnam Bhavatu
Sarvesham Mangalam Bhavatu
Om. May auspiciousness be unto all. May peace be unto all. May fullness be unto all. May prosperity be unto all.
Sarve Bhavantu Sukhinah
Sarve Santu Niramayaah
Sarve Bhadrani Pasyantu
Om. May all be happy. May all be free from disabilities. May all look to the good of others. May none suffer from sorrow.
Asato Maa Sat Gamaya
Tamaso Maa Jyotir Gamaya
Mrityor Maa Amritam Gamaya
Om. Lead me from the unreal to the Real, from darkness to Light, from mortality to Immortality.
Om Purnamadah Purnamidam
Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti
Om. That is whole. This is whole. From the whole the whole becomes manifest. From the whole, when the whole--if negated--what remains is again the whole. Om. Peace, peace, peace.
Look at the object, noticing everything about it: color, texture, temperature-looking at all sides if you are willing, maybe even holding it up to the light and seeing if there are any changes in your perspective or seeing if it has an aroma. No need to change anything about your response, simply observing…
Now, placing it on your tongue, seeing what happens: what does it feel like, where is it in your mouth, does the tongue want to move it...let it reside there even before chewing it [typically someone has already swallowed it-you can either provide another piece or let them participate as is-KC].
What happens after it's gone? Is the tongue moving around? or not...any saliva...any longing for more...or not? Simply noticing any feelings which arise-enjoyment, aversion, or anything else...noticing how you are in this very moment without judgment, without having to do anything at all...
- Watch yourself become still. Be comfortable in your posture.
- Station your awareness at the nostrils.
- Breath normally.
- Think/Say to yourself-- ‘In’ on the inhale and ‘Out’ on the exhale.
- Report the news (which is simply ‘In, Out’.)
- When your mind gets caught up in a ‘thought tendril’, take your awareness back to the sensations at the nose and of your breath.
- Continue with ‘In’/’Out’ and report the news.
- Don’t concentrate too hard.
- This is a ‘new now’…
- Practice for at least 5 minutes.