Saturday, February 11, 2012

Massage For Insomnia

I was given the assignment of blogging about a "disease" and the benefits of massage therapy, as a homework assignment. Near and dear to my heart, I chose insomnia. For years I have been dealing with this issue and until recently just thought it was something that I needed to find the right prescription for. Why do people have insomnia? I read a concept a couple months back, that changed it all for me. Internal disharmonies make the spirit restless and it cannot be properly housed, and the spirit will wander.
So, how do we fix that? First, we need to address the disharmony. Treatment for this disease should include massage therapy. Regular massage can decrease your stress level on a physical and psyche level. If pain is a factor in insomnia, therapeutic massage relieves pain, promoting better sleep. Massage also increases seratonin levels, which produce melatonin, which governs our circadian rhythm that regulates our sleep cycle.
There are several acupressure points/protocols that a massage therapist can stimulate to encourage sleep. Application of essential oils can also be very beneficial. Fill a 15 dram bottle with a carrier oil, add 4 drops of lavendar, 2 drops of bergamot, 2 drops of marjoram, 1 drop of clary sage and 1 drop of ylang ylang.
I definitely recommend seeing your TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) practioner to find the source of your insomnia, then find a massage therapist that you vibe with and enjoy the peaceful sleep you will find.

No comments: