Friday, December 24, 2010

Juice Fasting: Day 1

It's December 24th, 3 days past solstice, and time for my annual cleansing fast. My sister did this with me last year, and she wants to do it again - yeah! It's more fun with a friend.

Successful fasting takes preparation, intention, and getting into the mindset. I've been saving this time off for over a month, so I'm ready. My intention this time? Internal cleanliness and beauty - a gift to myself this winter season.

I went grocery shopping a few days ago to make sure I had lots of fresh fruits and vegetables to juice and make warm clear broths with. Plus over the last few days I've been eating lighter to prepare my body.

Today I woke up and had a large glass of water because I was thirsty. After running a few quick work related errands, I came home and made the first juice: 5 carrots, 3 green apples, 1/2 lemon, 1 small tangerine (all organic). Delicious!!

After drinking this I put on a special pot of broth that will sit warming all day, and I'll drink some whenever I feel the urge. Take 1 leek washed and cut into large chunks, the other 1/2 of the lemon from the carrot/apple juice, 1 handful fresh parsley, and 1 bunch fresh watercress. Put into a large pot (I used a 4-quart size), cover with water, and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Then turn off and ladle out the clear broth as desired. Reheat as necessary.

I started to incorporate this broth into fasting several years ago whan I read a great book called "French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano. She basically said that if she noticed her clothes getting a little tight, she would immediately make a leek or watercress broth and drink it for a weekend, thus going back to a trim size where her clothes would fit well again. The broth is a diuretic, but also nourishing. I add parsley for the vitamin C and lemon for a little extra flavor. The leek is great for the lungs during fall/winter. I've recommended it to several clients who have had excess edema they needed to clear and everyone found it to be delicious.

After sipping a few cups of warm broth throughout the afternoon, I just made a second juice from 4 tomatoes, 1 carrot, 1/2 lemon, 3 small cloves garlic, and a chunk of cabbage. I lightly warmed this on the stove (remove from heat before it simmers), added a generous sprinkle of cayenne pepper and a squirt of flax seed oil. MMMMM....This is amazingly satisfying, warming, and tasty!

I'm happy, feel great, and have had an incredible urge to clean house all day. Tonight I'll keep drinking the leek broth and probably make one more juice in a couple of hours - carrot/apple again. I'll also do a special abdominal massage with essential oils before bed - for myself, I'm thinking Marjoram or Coriander oil, both of which will enhance my dream state.

No comments: